Saturday, June 04, 2005

Coming to America

We were elated yesterday to receive a receipt of my application for my visa adjustment to live here permanently. This means we are one step closer to getting my working permit.

I came here as a tourist thinking that we will not be getting married within the year but we changed our minds which is... for the better.

The thing that we are trying to achieve right now is just to get me a working permit basically so I can start working. Along with that comes a bundle of fear deep inside me. Last night I actually layed in bed staring at the dark thinking this is it! I have to be brave.

I never learned to drive because in Japan it was always safe to travel by train and it was considered the best way to travel. I mean their trains their are on time to the last minute of its schedule and there is a train departing almost everyminute. I can even sleep in those trains on the way to work and back. The driving lessons like everything else in Japan are ridiculously expensive too and I can't even afford to take a leave from work to take those lessons.

Now when my working permit is ready which they promised would come within three months (two months from now), that means I have to be applying for jobs again, doing interviews, learn how to drive, and find my way around this town. Then, when I get hired I will also have to learn to adopt to the American working environment and adjust to my new co-workers. At the end of the day I will have to focus on my new driving skills. Everything is going to be new to me. I am just very nervous.

Well, when I moved to Japan I did not speak their language and I managed to find a job, transport by train of course, I got lost several times and yeah I worked and learned the language there in the workplace itself. You would wonder how I did that but I do too. And if I did it in Japan with all of that I can do it here unlike the Japanese, Americans speak english you know!